New Delhi: On 27th of August, Spicejet Airline operated its first test flight which was powered by biojet fuel, and this is an achievement in the fast-growing domestic aviation sector.

The flying time from Dehradun to Delhi is hardly 45 minutes and the flight was operated in the Bombardier Q400 Aircraft which was powered by biojet fuel and was made from jatropha plant. The information was provided by one of the officials of the Spicejet Airline.

After this flight test, India has become the first among the few developing countries to use biofuel for flights.

One of the Spicejet officials reported that they have effectively operated ‘’India’s first ever biojet fuel flight” there was a time when the airline was affected badly with the increasing fuel prices which were affecting organisation profitability and suffered a huge loss, however after recovering with all the debts SpiceJet became the first airline to come up with this idea. Though airline official said that it will require some more time to use biojet fuel for all regular flights.

The test flight was operated carrying 28 people on board including the five cabin and flight deck crew members. According to the airline official, the aircraft right engine was filled by 75 percent of aviation turbine fuel and the rest 25 percent was biojet fuel.

Indian Institute of Petroleum (IIP), Dehradun has prepared this biojet fuel. On this the director of the institute, Anay Rai said that 330 kg of biojet fuel is used in the flights for short distances like 40-45 minutes of flying time.

Managing Director of SpiceJet Mr. Ajay Singh said that it was a historic moment for all of us to test a biojet fuel flight and now India has become the first ever country amongst the developing countries to fly the flights powered by biojet fuel.

It was a successful operation for the test flight said Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu. The main motive is to achieve efforts consumer-friendly, reasonable and environment-friendly in the aviation sector.

According to IATA global airlines body, aviation industry shares 2 percent of the total global greenhouse gas emissions.

Our sources have reported that the IATA has also set a target which they most likely will try to achieve by 2025 in which approximately one billion passengers will fly on the aircraft using a mix of clean energy and fossil fuels.