Delta Ramona Leah Burke, commonly known as Delta Burke is an American actress, producer, and even an author. She is very well known for the character played by her in a CBS sitcom called ‘Designing Women’ which aired from 1986 – 1991. She starred in numerous shows and movies over the years since her debut as an actress in 1974.
Some quick facts about Delta Burke:
- She won the Miss Florida title in 1974 that paved the path for her acting career.
- She was born on July 30th, 1956 in Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Delta Burke graduated from Colonial High School in 1974 during which her focus remained on pageantry.
- Following her winning Miss Florida, she pursued higher education at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art through a scholarship.
- Apart from acting, she also explored her interests in the production line through a plethora of mini tv shows.
Childhood and Early Life:
Delta Burke was born to a single mother – Jean in Orlando. She has never met her biological father. She was soon adopted by her mother’s new husband who was a realtor in Florida. She was the oldest of the three siblings.
She had been interested and involved in pageantry since a very young age and had several accolades under her hood. In 1974, she entered the Miss Florida pageant and became the youngest woman to win the title. This changed her life and motivated her to get into the film industry. She made a debut through the tv show ‘Bozo the Clown’. She didn’t turn back after this.
Her biggest breakthrough came when she was hired to play the role of Suzanne Sugarbaker in the famous sitcom ‘Designing Women’. The show aired for 5 years after which it stopped due to clashes between the actors and the producers.
The actress got married to the actor Gerald McRaney in the May of 1989 and has had a successful marriage. Despite birthing no children, she took care of McRaney’s children from his previous marriages.
She faced many issues regarding her weight. She has claimed her increase in weight to be the result of depression and eating disorders. She still suffers from Compulsive Hoarding Syndrome. She was also diagnosed with type – 2 diabetes.
She now acts as the head of her own clothing line called Delta Burke Design. Owing to her vast career both as an actress and producer, she is estimated to be around $8 million in value.